Followers

Friday, January 20, 2012

WE'RE BAAACK!!!

Happy New Year!
and welcome to the first Guylou's Inimitability Challenge of 2012!

Guylou, our wonderfully talented owner and artist,
and our first host of the year, has chosen
a fun and frosty Winter Wonderland using these colors

as our theme this time!

This was a bit hard for me because here in AZ we do not get many
winter wonderland days! I mean it is January and we have had temps as high as 79!

My mojo has been seriously missing lately but I finally
came up with the idea to make a shadow box/tray using one of
my $1 trays from the dollar store!
I picked out a snow poem, my image and the paint for the tray.
Seeing that this is a $1 tray I added hot glue to the
seams on the back and some sealer all over. Thinking ahead right???
Then I printed my image (I used Dorothy make a snow angel), colored it...and I have to say I
was really happy with the way the shadowing, shading and all over colors worked!
I punched out a snowflake border...gluing the little snowflakes to the
edges of the tray and got my resin ready!
And looked what happened:

Completely smeared the colors. I had put modge podge,
 for paper, as the glue and as the sealer over the top and it still smeared. This is a different resin than I had used before
and I am thinking that's what caused it.
I was going to let it finish setting up and
figured I would see what would happen!
Well, dang if my luck continued....
the resin leaked out the GLUED bottom!
It ended up with the resin drying at an angle and still looked horrid!
So I reprinted the image recolored and
glued it to the top of the resin!
I added the modge podge to the top with a sponge brush to give it some texture...
Here is the final project:





Tried to get an upclose to show the texture finish.

And here is the poem I chose!

Check out all of the DT members blogs to the left..
make sure you follow the challenge rules listed here.

This will run until the 2nd of February.
You have the chance to not only win a $10.00 GC but
a year subscription to Through The Craftroom Door


and a chance to be a guest designer!
Speaking of which...
Anne won our "Fall Recipe" Challenge so she is joining us this
time around...check her project out http://annescardchallenges.blogspot.com/

Hope you have fun!!! 


8 comments:

Gina K said...

I HATE when that kind of stuff happens. It's so frustrating, but you really saved it. It turned out great in the end. I love that shiny/blingy finish it has, too.

Sara I. said...

Absolutely brilliant tray - love the sparkly textured finish and all those snowflakes on it! The poem is gorgeous - love it! and you've colored Dorothy beautifully!! xx

Star said...

This is amazing!! I'm sorry you had so much trouble with it, but it turned out fabulous, and what a creative idea to make trays. You are always such an inspiration! =D Hugs!

Two Dogs and a Book said...

Kim... this is a master piece!! Sorry you had so much trouble the first time. All I can say is this is such a wonderful project and so well done!!! Love it!!
Hugs!
G

Chana Malkah said...

Kim, I love your card! The poem is beautiful and your rendering of the snow angel is just great! Inspiring!

Brenda said...

Kim, this is such an awesome project!! Your projects always make me want to take a trip to the dollar store. This is amazing, really!! Hugs, Bren
And yup I am still alive!!

Shelby said...

This is an amazing design and so darn creative! Beautiful work

Shelby

Tracy S said...

You always come up with the coolest projects! I always look forward to our challenges to see what you will come up with next! This is adorable!